Re: Installing perl-Gtk3 under OS X

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Emmanuel Rodriguez
<emmanuel rodriguez gmail com> wrote:
The problem is that gtk3 and a few libraries are compiled without
introspection. Fire up your editor skills because we need to edit a
few files. You'll find the files here:

cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/tarballs/ports

sudo nano -w gnome/gtk3/Portfile
sudo nano -w graphics/gdk-pixbuf2/Portfile
sudo nano -w x11/pango/Portfile
sudo nano -w devel/atk/Portfile

Look for the word introspection and replace the flag with
--enable-introspection. Then uninstall and reinstall these ports:

Another way to do this is to use the 'sudo port edit' command for each
of the above ports prior to installing them.  This will allow you to
make changes directly to the correct portfiles, regardless of what
path you used when installing MacPorts.

If you do make changes to the Portfiles, it's recommended that you
save them in a different location, a local Portfile repository, so
that subsequent calls to 'port sync' or 'port selfupdate' will not
overwrite your customized Portfiles.

If you do save your custom Portfiles to a different path, you can add
that path to /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf so that your
directory of Portfiles is listed ahead of/before the system path of
"sync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]"; I have my
Portfiles stored in a tree structure below /opt/ports, so my
sources.conf looks like:

file:///opt/ports
rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ [default]

You would then use the 'sudo portindex' command in /opt/ports to
generate an updated list of available ports.  I do this often with
Perl modules that are not part of the MacPorts tree, i.e. generate an
updated Portfile for the module, then run 'portindex' to get MacPorts
to see the new Portfile.  The downside to this is more manual
maintenance, i.e. when the MacPorts team upgrades a Portfile I've made
a custom version of, the corresponding changes won't be seen until I
make new copies of them.

If you would like more info about local Portfile repositories, they
are described in  detail at [1].

Thanks,

Brian

[1] http://guide.macports.org/#development.local-repositories