Gnome2::VFS->format_uri_for_display and UTF-8

Hi,

I've a simple question about the correct usage of
Gnome2::VFS->format_uri_for_display.

This is what the docs say:

"Filter, modify, unescape and change URIs to make them appropriate to
display to users. The conversion is done such that the roundtrip to
UTF-8 is reversible."

"Returns : a newly allocated UTF-8 string"

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gnome-vfs-2.0/2.12/gnome-vfs-20-gnome-vfs-utils.html

However, it doesn't seem to return a valid utf-8 string, e.g. german
umlauts are not correctly displayed. I've attached an example program
where this problem is illustrated. If a use utf8::decode on the returned
string everything is fine.

Maybe I am doing something horribly wrong here...I would really
appreciate it if someone could shed light on this.

Thanks
Mario