Passing reference or binary data via drag&drop/clipboard?

Hi,

is there any direct way to pass a reference via drag and drop?
My attempts always result in "stringified" data like HASH(0xabcd).
I suspect this might have something to do with the parameters
"type" and "format" of Gtk2::SelectionData::set.
The documentation only says:

$selection_data->set ($type, $format, $data)
    *      $type (Gtk2::Gdk::Atom)
    *      $format (integer)
    *      $data (Glib::UChar)

without specifying which values for $type and $format are possible.

I came up with workarounds using global variables or Storable::freeze,
but still would like to know if there is a better way ...

Regards,
                        Peter