GStreamer position querying

Hi,

I'm trying to write a specialized audio player using Gtk2-perl and GStreamer, and have run into a problem querying the position of the stream. I've tried using a playbin, and when I couldn't query that, I tried setting up the elements and pipeline manually. While both methods play audio fine, neither one will allow me to query for position. Here's the playbin version of my code:

if ($playbin->query($query_time)){
    my ($time_format,$time) = $query_time->position;
    print "$time\n";
}

It turns out querying the playbin is returning FALSE. Can anyone tell me if querying of elements is broken, or am I misunderstanding how to execute a query for position?

My Gtk version is 2.18.3 as provided by Gtk2->get_version_info (which Ubuntu calls 1:1.221-4), Perl is 5.10.0.

Thanks.