Re: The syntax of Gnome2::Canvas::Line?

On Jun 14, 2008, at 2:37 PM, walt wrote:

Speaking of docs, the online docs do refer to Gnome2::Canvas::Points. Does that imply the existence of a Points.pod file somewhere? I can't find it
anywhere online or in the Canvas tarball.

GnomeCanvas's C API has a Point data structure, and methods to deal with arrays of these things. In perl, such stuff is really annoying, because it's much easier and more natural to use native perl arrays and data structures. So, the bindings map the GnomeCanvasPoint to an array reference, and the Gnome::Canvas::Points package exists only as an implementation detail --- it should be hidden from the docs. Oops.

http://gtk2-perl.cvs.sourceforge.net/gtk2-perl/gtk2-perl-xs/GnomeCanvas/xs/GnomeCanvasUtil.xs?revision=1.7&view=markup

If the [] style arrays are giving you trouble, i recommend reading perlref and the Data Structures Cookbook, perldsc. You really can't use gtk2-perl effectively without understanding perl data structures intimately.

--
I've been using emacs for 20+ years and have barely touched lisp. I wouldn't know lambda calculus if it took all its clothes off and waved a placard that reads "I am lambda calculus" in blinking 48-point Comic Sans.
  -- Dave Hodgkinson, on london.pm