[Fwd: Re: OFF-TOPIC: Perl...]

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 23:59 -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
--- Juan Josà 'Peco' San MartÃn <peco microbotica es> wrote:

Many thanks for your thoughts (Sergei and Chris).

I'm not looking for a "lang for all", but I'm afraid about Perl... IMHO,
it needs a good push to jump into the 'new technologies' because other
languages (in most of the cases, not as good as Perl) are addressing
this gap.

Thank you,
Peco

"needs a good push" <-> "in most of the cases, not as good as Perl" :-).

Good point :-D

Let me put it this way - many people simply didn't have enough ... guts to really
understand Perl.

Absolutely!. And I think that this is something that should be take in
consideration as a Perl handicap.
5 years ago, Perl was at everywhere, but now surely because 'many people
simply don't have enough time to understand perl' things has changed.
Ubuntu, QT, Symbian and may be also Google (seeing its Summer Code
programs) comes to my mind. They are pushing Python...

For example, from a forum I recently discovered Python does not have built-in
multidimensional arrays.

Where Perl really excels is data structures, which along with scoping are a very
elegant way to achieve readability, debuggability, modularization.

And probably Perl is the best WRT regular expression - PCRE has become a de-facto
standard of non-Perl application because the latter strive to be like Perl.

If you are interested, I can cook up some examples - typically other languages
fail miserably when people try to reimplement the same things in them.

I fully agree! :-)

But we are boring to see how many times the worst solution wins.

<FUD ON>
I'm afraid that if we don't do anything, this list, this project (thanks
a lot guys!!!), will start to be an exception.
<FUD OFF>

Regards,
  Sergei.

Thanks