Re: Pango perl bindings

muppet <scott <at> asofyet.org> writes:
Without a namespace change, we can't really ever remove things that
have been in stable releases.  The reason is that doing so would break
existing code that we do not control.

And, we've reserved the idea of moving to the Gtk3 namespace for the
bindings of gtk+ 3.x.

So, Gtk2::Pango must always be there.

The primary option is simply to yellow-wire[1] all of the Gtk2::Pango
APIs over to the new namespace, mark them deprecated in the docs, and
promote the use of the new stuff.  See also our handling of
Gtk2::SimpleList and Gtk2::Ex::SimpleList, and Gtk2::CodeGen versus
Glib::CodeGen.

Agreed.  If someone can pack up the new Pango dist with the xs moved over,
I'm happy to do the namespace wiring to provide gtk2::pango compatibility.

Another option is to split all the Gtk2::Pango stuff into a second XS
extension installed by Gtk2; you'd have to have Gtk2 installed to use
Gtk2::Pango, but would not have to load it into memory.  Not as clean,
and harder on the build infrastructure, but easier on the
compatibility issues.

I think I'd prefer the standalone Pango dist, as the problem was first brought
up because I wanted to use pango with cairo but not gtk2.

For the record, when all this got started, we assumed (wrongly, it
appears) that no one would want to use pango without gtk+.  A
secondary reason was to avoid toplevel namespace pollution on CPAN.

I guess pango at that time didn't have other stanealone uses (or not as popular
as it is today), but it's never to late to fix things ;)

Cheers,
CLK