text attributes

How does one set the default attributes for the widgets such as the text entry, etc? The default for the 'insensitive' mode on my system is currently dark gray text on a light gray background, I want to change it to something I can actually read. This is on a Slackware 11 installation with KDE. The previous system I had used this application on was RedHat, and the text when 'insensitive' was black on gray.