Re: Suggestion for gtk2-perl port for win32

On Oct 1, 2007, at 1:38 PM, Ye Wenbin wrote:

Hi,
When I build Gtk2 in windows, the main obstacle is some simple errors in Makefile. For example, execute some one line perl code use single-quote, and use Storable module which may lead to some unknown errors. So I suggest the MakeHelper module so make some change to make the Makefile portable. For example, avoid to use single-quote, use double-quote instead, and inside the string, use qq() instead of double quote.

All good suggestions. Please send a patch to the list so that somebody else with a Windows build setup can verify it before we apply it. (Hint, hint, all you listeners at home...)

And use Data::Dumper but Storable. The file will get a little larger, but if choose a small indentation, it is not so big. More over, the Dump result is more readable.

This stuff is only for documentation generation, which creates manpages that windows users don't need, so you can skip it. We moved from Dumper to Storable because we were starting to consume waaaaaaay too much memory with Dumper.

By the way, is there any advise for error "the command is too long" when use nmake?

I haven't had the opportunity (or drudgery, depending on your point of view) of doing a windows build in a couple of years, so this may be outdated.

It's in code generated by ExtUtils::MakeMaker, explained here:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2005-August/msg00054.html

I think we might be able to add an override for the link command in the My:: package in Glib::MakeHelper, and substitute a glob for the explicit list as Ari suggested earlier this year:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-perl-list/2007-April/msg00058.html

--
It's all very complicated and would take a scientist to explain it.
  -- MST3K