Re: Non-ascii characters break Cairo's show_text

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 21:42 +0300, Ari Jolma wrote:
I can't get non-ascii characters to print on an image surface with
Cairo. Furthermore, a show_text call with non-ascii character seems to
break text rendering for subsequent ascii text also. I wonder what's the
problem.

Sounds a lot like the issue that comes up rather often on the cairo
list.  For example:
<http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-June/010858.html>

See <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/cairo/2007-June/010859.html>
and replies for an explanation of what's going on.

In short: show_text() is considered only a "toy" API.  For example, it
uses the specified font and nothing else.  So if that font doesn't have
the glyph you're trying to render, it won't work.  No font merging is
done.  The answer is usually to use pango for any non-trivial text
rendering.

--
Bye,
-Torsten