Graphing with Cairo

I'm considering trying to write a graphing library in Perl, using Cairo. I plan to start out with simple bar graphs, then try some nice gradients in the bars, and then go from there as required.

To start with, if anyone has made a start on this, I'd be very interested to see what they've got. Otherwise I will start from scratch and see what I can do ... perhaps the most that comes out of this will be that I'll have some more experience with Cairo, but we'll see.

Any starting points / comments?
Are there any gotchas for working with Cairo under Windows?

Dan