Re: Local version of GTK2

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 17:36 +0100, Jeffrey Ratcliffe wrote:
Sorry this is slightly off-topic:

The RH machine on which I do some development work (but don't have
root access) only has gtk 2.4.13 (it runs KDE). I was able to download
gtk2-perl and compile a local version against this old version of gtk+
with no problem. But now, I would like to use some features from gtk
2.6. Is it a big deal to compile a local version of gtk 2.6?

do you strictly depend on gtk+ 2.6 (embedded development, no cairo)?
otherwise, my suggestion would be to use gtk+ 2.10.7.

in any case, building and installing a local version of gtk+ is not a
big deal; I do it routinely for my development environment for GNOME and
for work.

a solution for a working sandbox is to get jhbuild from GNOME's SVN
repository[1], install it, configure it (it's a matter of a couple of
changes in the sample configuration that comes along with it) and then
do a:

  jhbuild bootstrap
  jhbuild sanitycheck
  jhbuild build gtk+

which should set everything up for a successful build of the whole
shebang.  this, alas!, means installing the autotools and python too.

otherwise, you should do what jhbuild does for you, and set up a sandbox
where installing the dependencies of gtk+: glib, cairo, pango, and atk.

Presumably, I will need more recent versions of GLib, Pango, & ATK too?

and, for gtk+ >= 2.8, cairo.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--