Local version of GTK2

Sorry this is slightly off-topic:

The RH machine on which I do some development work (but don't have
root access) only has gtk 2.4.13 (it runs KDE). I was able to download
gtk2-perl and compile a local version against this old version of gtk+
with no problem. But now, I would like to use some features from gtk
2.6. Is it a big deal to compile a local version of gtk 2.6?

Presumably, I will need more recent versions of GLib, Pango, & ATK too?

Thanks for any help

Jeff