Re: Is this safe? ( Modifying widget values in the 'background' )

* Daniel Kasak <dkasak nusconsulting com au> [2006-06-05 07:50]:
Is that safe?

Yes.

But I remember reading that there were issues accessing gtk
widgets from multiple threads.

As you already surmised, this is not an issue for you. You do not
have multiple threads.

The *worst* that could happen is that someone switches to a
different page on a notebook, and it's got old data ( which
will change before their eyes soon ). Is that right?

Yes. The way I would go about this is to handle *all* updates
from the idle timeout (including the currently open tab), where
the order in which pages get updated is defined by a tab list. So
you put all tabs in the list, with the currently open tab
shuffled to the front. Every time the user opens a tab, if it is
still in the list, you throw up an hourglass cursor and shuffle
that entry to the front of the pending tab list. This way it will
be updated as quickly as possible.

Regards,