Is this safe? ( Modifying widget values in the 'background' )

Greetings.

I have a large, complex window with lots of notebooks and stuff.
Requerying our databases to populate the data takes about 10 seconds on
average.

I'd like to split up this requerying so that the notebook that's
currently selected gets updated immediately, and then everything else
gets updated in the 'background' by code triggered from a Glib::Timeout.

Is that safe? My understanding is that if I do it like this, the code
will only run when nothing else is happening with the interface. But I
remember reading that there were issues accessing gtk widgets from
multiple threads. This isn't another thread though. But anyway, I don't
quite understand enough to tell whether it's safe or not. The *worst*
that could happen is that someone switches to a different page on a
notebook, and it's got old data ( which will change before their eyes
soon ). Is that right?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer