Re: TextView - access to the popup menu?

Matthew Braid wrote:
Hi all,

I've looked through the archives/FAQ and was kind of surprised this hasn't
come up (either this just isn't done or I'm missing something really
simple). I want to alter the right-click menu for a TextView, but I don't
know how to access it.

I looked through the gtk2 source and found references to 'popup_menu', but
calls to $text->popup_menu, $text->get_popup_menu, $text->popupmenu and
$text->menu (amongst others I tried) came back with an unknown method error.

It is the "populate-popup" signal that you seek.  Unfortunately, the docs for
it on the web appear to be very, shall we say, rare.  I stumbled across it
some time ago while doing something else, entirely.  Here's a quick example,
hopefully as entertaining as it is illuminating.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use Gtk2 -init;

my $textview = Gtk2::TextView->new;
$textview->signal_connect (populate_popup => sub {
        my ($textview, $menu) = @_;
        print "populate_popup $textview $menu\n";
        foreach my $text (reverse 'Party!', 'Get naked!', 'Buy us beer!') {
                my $item = Gtk2::MenuItem->new ($text);
                $item->show;
                $item->signal_connect (activate => sub { print "$text\n" });
                $menu->prepend ($item);
        }
});

my $window = Gtk2::Window->new;
$window->set_default_size (300, 400);
$window->add ($textview);
$window->signal_connect (destroy => sub {Gtk2->main_quit});
$window->show_all;
Gtk2->main;

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>