Re: Can a popup catch keys?

On Jan 1, 2006, at 11:24 AM, zentara wrote:

I've been trying to figure out the way popup's and eventbox's
handle keys.

It seems that an eventbox in a popup will just pass the key signals
onto the controlling terminal.

Actually, it looks as though the popup is being ignored by the window manager, so that the controlling terminal's window still has the input focus.

Is there a way to make the popup catch the 'q' ?

Furthermore, if I don't catch the mouse button signals, a click
will be transparent and invoke my window manager's menu
from the desktop when the window is a popup.

From poking at the gtk+ source, it appears that popup windows are parented to the root window, so this isn't surprising. (Events not handled by the window are passed to its parent.)

What are the tips, tricks, and secrets for popups?

If all you really want is a toplevel window with no decorations, you can use $window->set_decorated (FALSE) with a normal GTK_WINDOW_TOPLEVEL window and avoid some of these issues.

--
"Quit hittin' yourself!  Quit hittin' yourself!"
   -- Elysse, playing with a newborn baby.