Getting rid of ListStores

I have an application that creates and destroys a fair number of ComboBoxes, each of which requires a TreeModel (I'm using ListStores). I understand that I can use the same model for multiple ComboBoxes. The question is, ListStores aren't widgets, they don't have a destroy() method, so do they behave like plain ol' Perl data structures? That is, they persist so long as a reference is being held somewhere, but then get automatically garbage collected? Is Gtk okay with that?

John