Custom widgets, glade, and stuff

I need a compact date editing widget, similar to GnomeDateEdit (
identical really, only I need it to work under Windows ).
I'd like to be able to define the widget in glade files.

I've thought about a number of different ways of doing it. The simplest
is just to use a button and pack a hbox into it where I can shove other
things, like labels to display the current date.

Then there is the option of creating a custom widget ( ie creating a new
Glib::Object-derived thing ). I've had a look at the colour button
example, and it doesn't look too bad. I'm not really sure how this fits
in with Glade though. I've seen some mention of Glade's custom widget
support, but in Glade 3 this is in the obsolete section, so I assume I'm
not supposed to be using that any more. If I just use a standard button,
can I convert that into a custom button?

I suppose at the moment I'm more interested in doing the custom widget
so I can learn how to do it, but this will depend on how easy it is to
make it work with Gtk2::GladeXML. Any comments?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer