Re: Ordering windows on the desktop

But if I obscure the 'parent' window by bringing up another app (one
that covers the entire desktop.. my browser for example), the parent
window behaves and gets out of the way. But the child window stays on
top and shows up in front of my browser.

because it seems to be exactly what you asked with
set_type_hint('GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DOCK').

try without this line:
$childwindow->set_type_hint('GDK_WINDOW_TYPE_HINT_DOCK');

The funny thing is, the following piece of code does what I want to do
on my WinXP env. The child window gets out of the way. But on my linux
env , the child window always stays on top.

i'm not an expert (someone here know i'm not an expert...) but may be win is a
little buggy? ;)

bye,
Andrea

--