Re: Speedup insert into treestore

Hi Emmanuele!

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:58:00 +0200, Emmanuele Bassi said:

[...]
Now that we have tracked down some of the "Perl side" of performance,
let me give some advices:

  1. the GtkTreeView widget is *still* not very optimized for speed;
this is bound to change with the next Gtk release, with the awesome
profiling work done by the Gtk people, especially Federico Mena
Quintero;

Oh, that sounds like good news. However, the GtkTreeView doesn't seem to
be the part where my program spends most of its time (though a speedup
there won't hurt either), I have a performance problem populating the
(now detached) TreeStore.

  2. profiling could be interesting - I don't know if there are native
Perl profiling tools (never really had to profile things in Perl;
usually, I rewrite speed critical sections in C and profile those), but
it there are, then you should really use them; and if not, then even a
poor man's profiling(tm) using printf, Benchmark and Benchmark::Timer or
Test::Benchmark is the right way to go;

I didn't know about the Benchmark modules. I tried using the perl
build-in profiler once but somehow it didn't like to work together with
(my) Gtk-Perl program. I'll have a look at those other Benchmark
utilities. Right now, I've been using printf and a stopwatch. :-)

  3. you should really try the 'fixed-height-mode' property for
Gtk2::TreeView. ;-)

Again, this will only speed up the actual process of displaying things,
won't it?

Ciao
Florian