Speedup insert into treestore

Hello everyone,

I have got a treeview that displays a sorted treestore. Now I need to
repopulate its content with say about 500 columns which takes ages here
(that is about 2 seconds on a PIII 1GHz).

Is there a way to make this quicker?

I've read about two possibilities: (1) To detach the treestore from the
view before doing any big changes and (2) to disable sorting during this
operation.

Sadly, I don't know how to do either of those options (set_sort_column_id
does not accept undef). Furthermore I don't know if (1) would really help
me, as the gtk main loop should not be called during my update run.

Ciao
Florian