ANNOUNCE: File::MimeInfo::Applications

Greetings,

This is a slightly off topic post because it is not about Gtk2, but it is about desktop bindings for perl so I figured it might be of interest for this list.

I released a new version of File::MimeInfo onto CPAN which is updated to the 0.13 version of the shared-mime-info specification from freedesktop.org.

Added to this release is a module called File::MimeInfo::Applications. If the freedesktop desktop-file-utils package is installed this module can tell you which applications can open files of a certain mimetype. This is compatible with the way a program like Nautilus finds applications for the default "open" action and the "open with" menu for a certain file.

So if you want desktop applications to open files with user configured applications this module can help you out.

Also packaged is a script called "mimeopen" which can be used to open files from the terminal with a suitable application.

Cheers!

-- Pardus