label->modify_fg() not working under KDE

I've got an app I wrote in PERL/gtk2 that worked well under Debian.

I recently moved to a Suse 9.3 / KDE environment.

In my code I was turning some text red.

This no longer works; the text is black, like all the other text.

The code is:

        my $ll = new Gtk2::Label("foo");
        my $color = Gtk2::Gdk::Color->new (65535, 0, 0);
        $ll->modify_fg ('normal', $color);

I have set non-KDE apps to not use KDE colorschemes, by using the Suse
control center->appearence->color->apply defaults to non-KDE apps
checkbox.

However, even if I check the "apply to non-KDE apps" checkbox,
generating a gtkrc file version of the KDE default theme, I see the
same behavior (i.e. black text instead of red).

Any thoughts on what's going  on / what I should do to solve it?

Thanks in advance,

TJIC