how to do signal connect for clicking JUST ONE radio button?

I've got two radio buttons that I put together in a group.

Each of them has the "clicked" signal wired up via
$button->signal_connect().

When either button is clicked, BOTH callbacks occur - first for the
button that is getting unset, then for the button that is getting set.

I can see why this architectural decision might have been taken
... but I need to figure out how to get a signal ONLY from the button
that has actually been clicked.

I can look at the value of the button group before hand, cache this,
and then DTRT after the click...but is this a kludge, or is this the
accepted procedure?

Thanks,

TJIC