different behaviours

I am experiencing different behaviour of my application on two PC. The
two PC have the same speed and RAM, both run the same distro version
(Ubuntu Hoary), but one with kernel 2.6.10-k7 and the other with
kernel 2.6.10-i386

The application is a multithreaded Gtk2 program, which forks around 20
processes and fills different branches of a treestore thru a
socketpair. On the i386 kernel everything works fine, and the treeview
is populating while the processes are running. On the -k7 kernel,
instead, the GUI is not refreshed until all processes are finished. I
have checked the Helper functions, and they are working properly. It
is a matter of GUI refresh...

Any idea?