Re: Mixed pixbuf and text

On Jul 1, 2005, at 2:22 AM, Daniel Kasak wrote:

If you're getting your results from something other than a database
server ... something that *does* give you results as soon as they're
available instead of waiting until the end, then you can do what you
want by simply adding the rows to the treemodel as they become available.

The tree view listens to the model's signals so that it can update immediately. However, the drawing is deferred with an idle, to avoid doing lots and lots of updates synchronously. That means that the updates don't actually show up on the screen until you return control to the main loop. (It can be as simple has "Gtk2->main_iteration while Gtk2->events_pending;" every so many rows.

Another trick for speeding up treeview updates is to unhook the model from the view, add the rows, then reconnect the model to the view. This avoids all of the update callbacks for each row add, and simply does one update when you reconnect. I doubt that accounts for 2 minutes of activity, but it's worth a try.

--
If I lived in Teletubby Land, the homicide rate would be four.
  -- elysse