Gnome2::GConf 1.012 (unstable)

Hi all.

Gnome2::GConf is a Perl module providing Perl bindings to the 2.x series
of the configuration database engine GConf.  This module allows you to
access the GConf database in a perlish and object-oriented way.

This is an unstable development release of Gnome2::GConf, containing new
features that have been added since the 1.00x stable series.  IMPORTANT
NOTICE: Since I've added the new Gnome2::GConf::Engine object, I've
broken the "ABI/API compatibility" rule; hence, this release will target
the *next* GNOME development cycle, that is GNOME 2.12, and not (I
repeat: *not*) the current one (that is, GNOME 2.10).  Report any bugs to
gtk-perl-list AT gnome DOT org as soon as possible.  Please use the
stable 1.00x series for important work.

The major news for this release cycle is the wrapping of the GConfEngine
object; a GConfEngine is used to handle a configuration database.  You
should never access the default configuration engine directly, but
always use the Gnome2::GConf::Client object, since bad things happen
when you do (Gnome2::GConf will die on you if you try, anyway).  Why
binding this low level object, then?  You could decide to re-implement
the GConfClient object in Perl, or create an entire new high-level API;
not that I advice doing this, though, but it's a tought that makes me
feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  And, by the way, the Python bindings
have recently added support for GConfEngine themselves, so...  I've also
wrapped some utility class methods, such as the sanity check on a key,
the concatenation function of directory and key, and the check on the
relative position of two paths.

As usual, the source code is available from the gtk2-perl project page on
sourceforge, and from anonymous cvs, tagged "rel-1-01-2" in the directory
/gtk2-perl-xs/Gnome2-GConf .

This module requires these other modules and libraries:

        perl >= 5.8.0
        Glib >= 1.070 (perl module)
        GConf >= 2.0.0 (C library and prerequisites)

In order to build it from source, you'll also need

        ExtUtils::Depends >= 0.2
        ExtUtils::PkgConfig >= 1.03
        development headers for gtk+ and friends

Overview of changes since 1.000
===============================

* Wrapped GConfEngine. [Emmanuele]
* Documentation fixes. [Emmanuele]
* Wrapped some utility methods. [Emmanuele]
* Require Glib 1.070. [Emmanuele]
* Require GConf >= 2.0.0. [Emmanuele]

+++

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
Emmanuele Bassi (Zefram)                 [ http://www.emmanuelebassi.net ]
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 4DD0 C90D 4070 F071 5738  08BD 8ECC DB8F A432 0FF4