Re: utf8 bug ?

On Sun, Sep 05, 2004 at 01:02:16 +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
* Christian Borup <borup borup com> [2004-09-04 23:27]:
In fact I've taken Gtk2 out of the equation. The attached
script still crash.

The documentation for _utf8_on says

    Turns on the UTF-8 flag in STRING. The data in STRING is not
    checked for being well- formed UTF-8. Do not use unless you
    know that the STRING is well-formed UTF-8. Returns the
    previous state of the UTF-8 flag (so please don't treat the
    return value as indicating success or failure), or "undef" if
    STRING is not a string.

which means that a failure with your script is to be expected.

'string' is PURE ASCII. In addition, running the compiler with 'use
utf8' MUST NOT yield a string constant, that is not well-formed utf8.
(It does not mark pure ascii strings as utf8, though I think it should)

Maybe Gtk2 (Glib?) doesn't actually properly transcode the string
to UTF8, and merely turns the flag on for it?

Taking into account that there is nothing to convert, because the string
is pure ascii...

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>