Re: Suggestions for a report generator

On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 01:31, Daniel Kasak wrote:
Now that I have enough data entry forms, I have to deal with *one*
printable report.
It's for management. It has to look decent.

My first idea was to use PHP or Perl to render the pages via a web
server, and put some page breaks in with CSS. It's dodgy but it works
and it's simple. The only issue I have with this is that it's "external"
to the app, ie the user has to open Mozilla ( or I suppose I could
trigger Mozilla and open to a CGI page or something ).

if [ ! `mozilla -remote ping()` ]
then
        mozilla -remote openURL(javascript:focus())
fi
mozilla /whatever/file &

I'm also aware of some report generator packages around, but I'm really
just trying to keep things simple - for the moment - so I can get what's
been done on a desktop and tested, and maybe move onto a full-featured
solution later.

Any ideas?

man perlform

Or generating postscript is not that hard once you have the boilerplate.

Regards,
Carl