saving geometry to disk on window resize

How does one manage to save the current geometry to disk when a user
explicitly resizes the top level window?  It has something to do with
the signals "size_allocate", "size_request", and/or "configure_event",
but I can't ever get out the geometry information that I want.

I find lots of people asking this question over the ages on the Gtk
lists, receiving different answers. For example:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/1999-November/msg00222.html

Frustrated, but sorry to pester,

Nathan Kurz
nate verse com