Re: GTK on Solaris

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 17:33, Andy Ford wrote:
I have been left behind a little when it comes to GTK. Is it possible
for GTK apps to run under GTK2?

gtk+-2.x is a major change from 1.x -- the object system when through a
major overhaul, the tree and list widget and the multi-line text widget
were completely replaced, and there were lots of little changes here and
there.

the basic API and concepts, however, are largely unchanged.

but, a simple :%s/\<Gtk\>/Gtk2/g in your gtk-perl program is not
sufficient.  the C API reference at http://gtk.org/api/ includes a
porting guide for the basic concepts.  things to note:

- Mnemonics and stock items make your app a lot nicer to use.  Use them.
- Gtk2::Dialog removes the need for a lot of the silly dialog stuff you
  had to do in gtk 1.x -- Gtk2::MessageDialog is quite handy.
- Gtk::CList and Gtk::CTree are deprecated in favor of Gtk2::TreeView.
  There's a link to a treeview tutorial on our website's links page.
- If your app is so tightly tied to the CList or CTree that you can't
  port the rest of it, Gtk2::Deprecated lets you defer the hard work
  until the easy boilerplate work on the rest of the script is finished.
  However, Gtk2::Deprecated is unsupported and, well, deprecated, so
  you must continue to port your program!

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>