Re: Build problem Gtk2-1.037

On Monday, March 1, 2004, at 12:34 PM, Jim Donoghue wrote:

sane upgrade is to update package, not to gratuitously overwriting it with manuall tarball rebuild.

I would have done it the 'right' way if I had found newer packages that had what I need. I made the mistake and assumed that Gtk2-perl was Gtk2-perl, and a newer version would be backward-compatible, unless it was a major upgrade (such as Gtk1 -> Gtk2).

In truth, we bend over backwards to be backward-compatible with stable versions, and in fact that's the point of having an API freeze. The particular version with which we're not compatible in your situation has been patched to include features and behavior we don't have, so of course they're missing from the upgrade.

So, the solution for you is to revert to the mandrake-supplied RPM for the system-wide install, and follow the instructions in the READMEs for installing the newer versions to a sandbox. When the vendor-supplied package is available (post 1.040, i expect) then you won't need the sandbox anymore.

--
Jolt is my co-pilot.
  -- Slogan on a giant paper airplane hung in Lobby 7 at MIT.