how to do stuff with tray icons?

Hello

I've successfully created a tray icon using the sample script in Gtk::TrayIcon's manpage, but I cannot seem to get signals working. I wish to be able to connect a signal to the display widget (in this case, the example text label) so that when the user click a button I can open a window or display a menu. However, many different attempts to connect signals to both the widget and the tray object did not result in the signal handler being called.

Does anyone know how to proceed?

Thanks in advance,

Cristovao