using the signal_connect_object() method

Hey I have a question about the signal_connect_object() method. On the gtk-perl homepage all I can find about this method is that the 3rd argument is supposed to be a slot_object. What exactly is that? I've been able to use that function in C on just a regular gtk widget. But I must be missing something in perl.

I have a textbox I want updated when I press a button.

$button->signal_connect_object( 'clicked', \&update_text, $textbox);

the code above gives me this error:

Can't call method "Gtk::Text=HASH(0x828dd6c)" on unblessed reference at /usr/lib/perl5/Gtk.pm line 199