Re: GUI interfaces

On Thursday, February 26, 2004, at 10:28 AM, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

* alas widomaker com <alas widomaker com> [2004-02-25 17:03]:
Wx
portability   9 (runs on just about everything)
easy          ? (never really used it)
appearance    9

Objection. You can only compile it against Gtk1.2 or Motif on
Unix and expect it to work reasonably well. Portability should be
5 in my book, and appearance on Unix is only 5 as well.

i would object because of it's MFC-like design, but that's just me and my hatred of the MFC.

OS X programs written with Wx also suffer from transition problems; e.g. Audacity on the mac has useless key bindings, because the menu accelerators/mnemonics get turned into actual accelerators which override one another --- there are five occurrences of Cmd-A in the menu, and since About is last in the menus, it wins, you can't select all without using the mouse.

--
"Quit hittin' yourself!  Quit hittin' yourself!"
   -- Elysse, playing with a newborn baby.