Re: [RFC] Gtk2::Ex::GladeCustom

On Thu, Aug 19, 2004 at 13:24:08 -0400, muppet wrote:

Jan Hudec said:
Writing custom widgets in Gtk2-perl is easy enough to be useful. What's
missing from the distribution is a way to include such widgets in
GladeXML files. Therefore I suggest a module to simplify this.

this sounds more like a missing feature of the bindings, to be honest.

i'd like to see the code for this; did you mean to attach it?

I wanted to know whether there is interrest first. I am attaching it
now.

Libglade (I mean the C interface) is unfortunately greatly broken in
this respect. The constructed widget does not get values for the
standard widget properties, though they can be set in glade.

Thus the Gtk2::Ex::GladeCustom really has to be used by the main
program, not the widget implementation. The module should remain
optional. Of course, if you think it should be added to Gtk2::GladeXML
itself (probably as Gtk2::GladeXML::Custom), i'd not be against that.

Since any GObject can be constructed with g_object_new, providing
a generic method to build call to g_object_newv would be orders of
magnitude more useful. Well... someone could write a glade module, but
it's a lot of work.

BTW: I found the set_custom_handler method in the source, but it does
not seem to be documented (I have 1.00 from debian installed).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>