Re: Filename encoding in FileChooser

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 15:15, Daniel Flemming wrote:
Hmmm, that's interesting reading, and relevant, but it doesn't really
answer my question. :) I have a FileChooserDialog set to
GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SAVE, and I read its filename with a get_filename
method call after running it with a run method call. What I want to know
is, what encoding is put into the resulting scalar (from the get_filename
call)? I thought it was probably Unicode because that's what gtk uses in
general, and also the resulting filenames kinda looked like Unicode. But I
wanted to make sure.

these are the functions that back the stuff i suggested.
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/glib/glib-Character-Set-Conversion.html#g-filename-to-utf8

i don't know, but from what i read and seem to remember from past
dealings with the stuff is that the filename encoding isn't anything in
particular (depends on what the system's encoding is) and these
functions help you make sense of that. once again this is all 'i thinks'
and no 'i knows.'

--
-rm
http://www.neces.com/