Re: gtk2-spell on cpan uninstallable

pcg goof com ( Marc) (A.) (Lehmann ) said:
Just found out that the current release of cpan is uninstallable because
gtk2 uses a broken version number:

  CPAN.pm: Going to build M/ML/MLEHMANN/Gtk2-Spell-1.03.tar.gz

  Argument "1.00rc2" isn't numeric in subroutine entry at
  /opt/perl/lib/perl5/Gtk2.pm line 44.

this looks like there's still a Gtk2 1.00 release canidate on your system.
those shouldn't of ever been in cpan, but at the very least they no longer
are, so i don't think that would of come from there.

  *** can not find package gtkspell-2.0 >= 2.0.0
  *** check that it is properly installed and available in PKG_CONFIG_PATH

this would likely come from gtkspell's devel package not being installed. or
because the pkgconfig file isn't being found. this is an error, i would
suspect that the above message about the version number being numeric was just
a warning and this was the fatal problem. if you've installed gtkspell from
pkgs then make sure you have the devel pkg. if you've installed gtkspell from
source then make sure that it's pc file is in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

"1.00rc2" is not a valid version number, which means it cannot be used as
dependency from other modules.

I suggest using 1.00_2 or similar, or just using sth. like 0.99, which is
more truthful anyways IMnsHO :)

yeah, if we were to do release canidates again, we probably wouldn't go the
'rc' route. that was a long time ago when we were much less competent than we
are now, heh.

-rm