Re: OT: Threads & processes (was Re: Threaded Gtk2->main causing segfault)

Joe Smith said:
Dan Lyke wrote:

 > And I'll pipe in with my usual tired refrain: As someone who's done a
 > *lot* of threading and learned the hard way, the only reason to use
 > threads is that you're working on an OS that doesn't deal with
 > processes well.  ...

And you're only saying that because you work on a platform that has
lousy thread support   Sorry, couldn't resist

Seriously, can anyone recommend a good tutorial on IPC for Perl/Unix? Is
there a straightforward way for two processes to share a set of variables?

i've played around with IPC::Shareable some, it has some major issues, but so
long as you share simple things it works well. if you try sharing complex
objects it has shared memory leaks.

-rm