OT: Threads & processes (was Re: Threaded Gtk2->main causing seg fault)

Dan Lyke wrote:

> And I'll pipe in with my usual tired refrain: As someone who's done a
> *lot* of threading and learned the hard way, the only reason to use
> threads is that you're working on an OS that doesn't deal with
> processes well.  ...

And you're only saying that because you work on a platform that has lousy thread support Sorry, couldn't resist

Seriously, can anyone recommend a good tutorial on IPC for Perl/Unix? Is there a straightforward way for two processes to share a set of variables?

I've always avoided anything beyond a 'system()' or `backticks` strategy because all the Unix/POSIX IPC methods look like such a PITA. Pipes are useless for two-way IPC; the SysV stuff looks seriously clunky (to my simple mind) and none of these allow you to easily share an actual data structure (a Perl hash, lets say), without jumping through all kinds of hoops.

Pardon my off-topic ignorance; take it off list if you wish. I'm just fishing for a clue

<Joe