Re: question about packaging

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 05:53, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
What is the best way to package glade xml files with my perl script ?

Should I (A) supply them as data files to be installed in */share/myapp/
, should I (B) put them all in the __DATA__ part of the script or should
I (C) package them into separate perl modules ? ( option (D) of course
being 'none of the above' )

personally i would lean towards B just because it would make sure that
the gladexml data was around and you wouldn't have to worry about paths
to it.

Seems to me that using data files is the clean option, but I don't
believe the default install scheme for perl apps (useing
ExtUtils::MakeMaker) has a data dir and I want the app to be portable,
but with the other two options I'm still stuck with the images so it
doesn't fix everything. How is this done usually ?

as far as data dirs go in the past i've installed things under
/xxx/share/app_name, but never on anything that was used for real so i
don't know if that's the way to go.

-rm