newbie: increasing size of widgets

Hi

I am slowly trying to figure out how to make all of this stuff work, but
I am having difficulty with a most basic problem, which I am sure is
easily resolved.

I am using a table layout in my main window, and I can control the
position of buttons etc no problem.  However, I have a scrolled window,
containing a simplelist.  The simple list only shows one or two lines,
and is very cramped - the adjusters on the scrolledwindow have no room
to move.

How do I increase the size of the scrolledwindow/simplelist so that it
shows more of the simplelist?

I am sure it is easy, but i have tried any number of things without
success, and I would sure appreciate some pointers!

Thanks

--

Regards

David Sword