How to find a font

Hello,

For a big text widget I need a condensed font with a fixed size. I am not very experienced with X fonts os I describe what I did:

I searched through my system fonts with "xfontsel". I found a font that looks kinda good (but not perfect) for me. It is described as

  -misc-fixed-*-*-semicondensed-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Howe can I use this Font from perl-gtk? I tried the following:

  my $fontdesc=Gtk2::Pango::FontDescription->from_string(
    'fixed semicondensed 8'
  );
  $self->{widget}->modify_font($fontdesc);

but it seems not to use the "misc" foundry font. :-( And the "semicondensed" seems not to work anyway. What is the best font description for a very narrow fixed size font?

Can someone give me a hint which font I should install that suits my problem?

Thanks all,

Thomas