Transparent background?

I'd like to create a situation where two widgets are stacked on top of each other, with the top one having a transparent background. That way, data written to it would *appear* to be written on the lower widget. For example, I could have the bottom widget be a plug/socket, with the *top* one displaying a graphic to, say, obscure part of the bottom window.

I've done Gtk programming in C and in Perl, but I don't know how to pack one widget on top of another, nor how to create the transparent background in the top window. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
--john
--
John McDermott