ComboBox signals

Hi
I have a combobox in my application which is set to $editable(FALSE), as
I only want users to select an item from the drop down list.  The action
of selecting then uses a callback to load data from the database!

I have tried the 'activate' signal, but it only calls the callback if
the enter key is pressed within the combobox, and the changed signal
seems to generate 2 calls to the callback, with only the second of these
containing any data in $combo->entry->get_text.  This obviously
generates chaos within the application, and the database.

Am I missing something obvious? (most likely!)

Also, the combobox uses a list, which is deprecated - will the combobox
also be deprecated, or is a new replacement on the way?  If it will be
obsolete, I don't want to build a lot oif code around it - what should I
use instead (I generally want users to select an item from a drop down
list, rather than give huge amounts of screen space to a scrolled list).

Sorry for the mass of questions, but you guys just know SOOOO MUCH about
this stuff, and I dont!

Any help greatly appreciated.
--

Regards