Re: Nice stuff

Bruce Alderson said:
Hi,

I have to say that the Gtk2 bindings are great.  I'm a long-time list
lurker, and have dabbled in most of the Gtk/Gnome bindings.  I am really
enjoying the Gtk2-Perl bindings, they work well, and even feel
perl-ish.  Great stuff!

great, especially the perl-ishness there was effort to make them so, any time
there were decisions to be made we tried to err on the side of perl-ishness.
thanks.

Anyway, I've been using the libraries a lot today (starting with the
Gtk2 from CPAN, and later from anon sourceforge CVS).  I have several
pet-projects going nowhere fast, and have made significant progress with
using Gtk2.  GladeXML is especially nice, and nowhere near as slow as I
remember it (from 1.0).

i didn't use GladeXML in version 1.0, and barely have with 2.0, i did the
first past of bindings which had issues, chas did a second pass and resolved
many of those, there may still be issues left to resolve so if you're using
and and find then you'd be a prime canidate to fix them.

I'd like to help with this project, if there's anything that needs
doing.  I'm an intermediate Perl programmer, an experienced C/C++ dev
(mostly embedded commercial stuff), and a technical-writer (mostly
commercial stuff).  I don't mind doing small stuff like writing
tutorials, or updating documentation ... and can work on bugs and small
features if it suits.

since you seemed to have played around with GladeXML then you may be
interested in coding up an example of how to use it, as there are none
currently. obviously a very simple, straightforward, example is needed, but
more elaborate complicated examples are welcome as well. this goes for any of
the modules, not just GladeXML. if you're looking for topics, going over the
mailing list creating examples that solve problems that have been asked would
be good as well. (and could also be used as FAQ entries another place people
are welcome to help out.)

as far as core bindings go there's probably not all that much heavy devel left
to do. but hanging out on this list (and/or irc) you ought to be able to catch
anything that comes up and speak up as to being interested in looking at it.
other options would be to develop bindings for other useful libraries. quite a
few people seem interested in bindings for gtkhtml(2|3) and i'm sure there are
other libraries people would love to see. i've got 40% done bindings for
gtkglext (allows 3-d rendering with opengl to gtk widgets, it's pretty cool
and might give you an excuse to learn opengl) if you're interested in picking
that up let me know. yet another possibility would be the development of
SimpleList/SimpleMenu type perl modules that make complex and/or repetitive
tasks easier.

obviously any of this is open to anyone who proves capabile of doing it.

-rm