Re: gtk-perl-xs and GnomeCanvas?

Dov Grobgeld said:
What I haven't managed to do yet, and I wonder if it is supported, is to use
the Gnome::Canvas. I can create a canvas object, but then I can't access any
member functions, like e.g. canvas->root().

well, gnome canvas is in its own library; right now the Gnome2 module
implements almost everything that's in libgnome and libgnomeui...  i had
started to group all of the gnome-related libraries under that one umbrella
but it had very poor granularity at compile time (i never use GnomePrint so i
didn't want to have to have the libraries installed), so i started breaking
everything out.  obviously i didn't finish, largely because i personally have
real need for Gtk2 but only passing interest in Gnome2; so, the typemaps are
there for Gnome2::Canvas, but none of the implementation.

by this rationale, i think there should be a Gnome2::Canvas module.  it should
be easy, and i can probably knock it out in an hour or so, but i'll need other
people to test it.

the take-home message is that Gnome2 needs someone dedicated to developing it,
because i cannot focus on it.

Another issue that I have been started looking on is porting the Gimp::Perl
UI module to gtk-perl-xs for gimp-1.3. The Gimp::Fu::UI module makes several
inherited widgets in perl. Is that supported yet in gtk-perl-xs? It looks
like most of the framework is in place except the register_parameter()
function. Is that right?

there is a little bit of larval stuff in place in the Glib module to support
inherited GObjects.  in general, you can just re-bless an object to add your
own methods, but to add parameters and signals you need to create a new GType;
thus, Glib::Type->register does pretty much what my_object_get_type,
my_object_class_init would do in a C program, creating the type id
(transparently, of course -- there are no type ids at the perl level, only
package names), creating signals, and creating properties.  the properties
stuff is currently unimplemented.  :-(

there's an example of using this near the top of
Gtk2/examples/histogramplot.pl.  please have a look and tell me what's broken.
 i've had this feature in mind since i started the redesign for gtk2-perl-xs,
but have not completed it because it's a little esoteric and my own use for it
is held up by other things, so it hasn't really been stress-tested or
completely thought out.  one area of difficulty is overriding virtual methods,
which i fear will take some heavy wizardry and pointer math if we don't want
to go for a more robust solution with lots of little-used overhead.  i'm open
to ideas.

Btw, I have only looked at the gtk-perl-xs beta version from muppets home
page. Have things perhaps been updated in ver 0.20/CVS?

0.20 has been "officially" released on the sourceforge page, so nobody should
be using the stuff from my homepage anymore.

CVS has changed since then, but not in any big ways... yet.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>