Re: beta release of gtk2-perl-xs, please try it out

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 06:42, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
muppet <scott asofyet org> writes:

  http://asofyet.org/muppet/software/gtk2-perl/Glib-0.20BETA.tar.gz

I've quickly looked at some XS sources because since I'm author
of some code you kept, I was curious to see what Copyright
mentions would be used :). They seem to not contain any copyright
or license reference. I humbly think this is dangerous and should
be fixed (and probably this is also illegal because it contains
GPL code which can't be unlicensed).

thanks for finding that.  i thought about it once upon a time, but
apparently didn't do anything about it.

how about a brief copyright notice at the top of each source file,
pointing to LICENSE and AUTHORS files in the top of each module?

then, of course, who belongs in the AUTHORS files?  i'd rather be
inclusive than picky, but do i list the pygtk project as authors because
i looked at their code, or just say they inspired it?

  http://asofyet.org/muppet/software/gtk2-perl/Gtk2-0.20BETA.tar.gz

Compiling, newbie mode engaged.

Glib: ok

Gtk2:

[gc bi ~/rpm/tmp/Gtk2-0.20] perl Makefile.PL
Can't locate ExtUtils/Depends.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at Makefile.PL line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Makefile.PL line 9.

Since I'm in newbie mode, I don't go further :).

did you install Glib?  these have been broken into separately
installable pieces, and thus need to be installed in order, like the C
libraries.

oh, and if you did Makefile.PL to a PREFIX, you need to include that
PREFIX in your perl path.  instructions to this effect are in the
READMEs --- if they aren't clear enough, please fix them.

Guillaume -- if these packages are not broken (i don't think they are, i
made them with 'make dist', but i'm paranoid), please release them
without the BETA and tag the CVS trees appropriately.  i'll bump the
versions by 0.01 once the tags are set.

Hm I've never made any gtk2-perl release yet (Goran did them) and
I feel gtk2-perl-xs is yours, so I'd prefer you do so. I've added
you enough sourceforge rights to do so (I didn't know it was not
available for "developers").

heh, i hadn't tried; you're the conch-holder^Wmaintainer, i figured only
you would have access to do so.

gtk2-perl-xs isn't "mine", it's ours.  if it was mine i wouldn't be
asking everybody's opinion on important issues and such, i'd just do it.

--
muppet <scott at asofyet dot org>