Re: GObject reference counts

I've never used gtk-perl (either version) except briefly to try it,
so weigh my opinion accordingly.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 11:55:26AM +0100, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
I think that Goran and Daniel (If I remember correctly, again)
were defending another view in which they wanted to stay as close
as gtk+'s behaviour in C as possible:

Perl is a garbage-collected language, and by making this decision
you are fundamentally altering the language.  I know it's possible
to think of every gtk object as an external resource (like a
filehandle), but this is utterly unnatural.  It makes some
programming styles very difficult.

Although implementing GC semantics will be a witch for you, I'm
certain the current behavior will bite other programmers hundreds of
times, possibly in subtle ways.  This will ultimately waste more
time than the developers are saving, and sour people on gtk2-perl.

Andrew